I knew our kitchen renovation was going to be inconvenient; I didn’t realize it would make eating healthy more difficult.
Morning coffee? Water from the bathroom sink. Chopping veggies or grilling chicken? Ha.
Our kitchen won’t be done for a few months due to “unfortunate circumstances” (don’t ask.) There’s no way we can get takeout for the duration. It’s super expensive and very hard to avoid foods that are unhealthy.
I’m now starting to figure out dishes that will be simple to prepare, that require little or no chopping, slicing or dicing. Last night we had Chicken Taco Soup, which I adapted from a recipe I found on the Internet. It’s a very low fat, sturdy soup, almost a stew. The seasonings can be tweaked according to preference; as is, the soup has a mild flavor.
The best part? It’s a dump-in-the-slow-cooker meal. No cutting board or knife needed! The ingredients cook for a few hours, then the chicken is removed, shredded, and returned to the slow cooker.
Although the original recipe called for one pound of skinless boneless chicken breast, I increased the amount by 1/2 pound. Increasing the protein in a dish makes it more satisfying and also slows the digestion of the carbs (beans and corn) in the soup. This Chicken Taco Soup has plenty of fiber, which is great for those watching their blood sugar and/or trying to lose weight.
The soup serves six, which means leftovers for singles or those with small families. Leftovers mean less time in my dining room turned pseudo kitchen. That’s a good thing!
Easy Chicken Taco Soup - No Chopping
- slow cooker
- 2 15 oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained (can sub favorite beans)
- 1 14 oz. can corn, drained (can sub about 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed)
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (can blend if you don’t like tomato chunks)
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa
- 1 1/2 lbs. skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth (I use Better Than Boullion concentrate; can substitute reduced sodium broth)
- 2-3 tbsp reduced sodium taco mix
- Tortilla chips crumbled optional for topping soup
- Sour cream reduced fat (can sub plain Greek yogurt)
- Chopped onions add to uncooked ingredients, or use as topping
- Cilantro minced optional topping