I’m lazy when it comes to breakfast – I hate to cook eggs because I don’t want to bother with dishes. Happily, I’ve figured out a way to make an easy veggie “omelette” in a bowl that requires no chopping or dirty pan to scrub.
My no-fuss breakfast is packed with protein, has negligible carbs and fewer than 100 calories. Even though it’s quick to make, a lazy cook can be creative, trying various combos of veggies and seasonings. I had fun making three veggie omelettes this week, none alike.
All it takes is egg substitute, a favorite veggie or two, a 7-8 inch cereal bowl and cooking spray. Total time, including getting ingredients out of the fridge, is under five minutes.
A veggie omelette in a bowl is a riff on the egg-in-a-mug idea, but easier. I have found eggs in a mug a pain to make: Because the mug is deep, the egg often ends up with wet spots (undercooked) or rubbery (overcooked.) Afterward, there’s a sticky residue on the mug to scrub.
Using a cereal bowl makes the difference. Because the surface area of the bowl is larger than a mug, the vegetables and egg substitute cook quickly and evenly, with no uncooked spots. The egg omelette easily slides out of the bowl onto the plate. The bowl is super simple to wash – no scrubbing😀.
Omelettes in a bowl are cute – another incentive for a lazy breakfast cook. I’d serve it to a family and friends paired with whole grain toast and/or fruit.
I used fresh spinach in my dish but other vegetables should work. Some ideas: leftover cooked peppers and onions or chopped, seeded fresh tomato. Fresh or dried herbs are always a good idea, as is a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper.
And cheese – cheese makes everything taste better. To keep calories and saturated fat low, sprinkle just a spoonful of Parmesan or grated cheddar on top of the omelette in a bowl immediately after microwaving.
The following recipe may need a little adjusting depending on the type of cereal bowl used. I made my omelette in an 8-inch Corelle cereal bowl; I have not tried the recipe in a plastic bowl.
I hope you enjoy this lazy, low carb breakfast!
Veggie Omelette in a Bowl
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1 handful fresh spinach torn into pieces
- cooking spray
- As desired chopped fresh or crumbled dried herbs, pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Parmesan or grated, reduced-fat Cheddar cheese optional
- Use cooking spray generously on non-plastic cereal dish.
- Put a handful of fresh spinach and desired herbs into bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. (If adding cooked vegetables instead, microwave about 15 seconds, just to warm up.)
- Remove bowl from microwave, add 1/2 cup of egg substitute. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Remove bowl from microwave and stir, making sure that egg substitute and vegetables are well mixed. Microwave another minute and remove.
- If using cheese, sprinkle over omelette after removing from microwave. Serve immediately.